Welcome to our adoption blog. Please leave us comments so we know you were here. We need all the prayers and support we can get and if you don't leave comments we won't know you care. Thanks! We love you all!
~The Oldenkamp Family

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Security Issues?

These are a few signs of healthy attachment (Judah shows all these signs although a couple weren't right away)

* Displays age appropriate anxiety at brief separation from primary caregiver but is able to be reassured.

* Reunites happily with primary caregiver with eye contact and physical contact.

* Show signs of feeling safe in social situations; able to play and interact with others, but stays close and checks in with primary caregiver regularly but not in an anxious or desperate way.

* Is okay with primary caregiver leaving the room for short periods of time. Conversely, cares that primary caregiver has left the room and shows happiness when that person returns.
http://www.a4everfamily.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=71

We've left Judah with his brothers in the care of others numerous times now, mostly at our home but a few times in children's church. He does really well and is always happy to see us when we return. So, what's the issue? Gabriel !! Yeah, I never thought Gabriel would have these issues with Judah being here. I thought that maybe Liam might show jealousy signs (which he hasn't) but Gabriel's always so oblivious that I thought a new child would be no big deal for him. Well, Gabriel often scolds Judah for things and pushes him around. I now have to sneak out when I leave Gabriel with a sitter because he will bawl his little eyes out when I leave. I left him with Grandparents to take Liam and Judah to gymnastics and Gabriel sobbed! I am realizing how much individual attention Gabriel needs. It has been unexpected but I am glad I am not totally oblivious to it.

No comments: